I have long wanted to make a detailed analysis about Digital marketing – what it is and how easy it is to explain to an ordinary entrepreneur all the advantages and disadvantages of such marketing. Indeed, if we try to find accessible information about what Digital marketing is, we will not find a clear explanation.
Why such a situation with the understanding of this term? In my opinion, this is because people confuse Digital and Internet marketing. However, these are really completely different concepts and they work with completely different technologies. In addition, the world is rapidly changing and information is becoming obsolete at a frantic pace, and this, in turn, further confuses the footprints in these terms.
Today, large companies are trying to win the competition with new marketing tools. And so, Internet marketing did not have time to appear, as his “younger brother” Digital marketing appeared.
I advise you to read this analysis completely, because at the end of the article you will have a complete picture to understand whether Digital marketing is needed in your projects. As well as a systematic algorithm on how to start implementing digital marketing in your businesses.
Well – let’s see what kind of tool is this?
Explanation 1: Digital marketing what it is and why it is not internet marketing
Here is the most important thing is to understand that Digital marketing (aka digital marketing) is a marketing tool that works not only on the Internet. Digital marketing uses all digital communication channels that can only be applied in commerce.
In other words, Digital marketing is not the “little brother” of Internet marketing. Quite the opposite: Internet marketing is one of the channels for attracting customers and retaining them. That is so simple, it turns out.
It remains to figure out which channels Digital marketing uses:
- A television
- the Internet
- Social networks
- Partnership programs
- Video games
- Various digital displays
Here we add: SMS mailing, Viber newsletter, use of applications for mobile phones.
In addition, there are QR codes with which in our latitudes is just a disaster. It would seem convenient: you are walking along the street. You see the offer in the booklet or in the subway. Interested in. You scan the code and go directly to the site, instead of using your fingers to drive the address of the Internet resource.
But no – such a convenient thing did not take root with us. And the point here is apparently in the notorious mentality: in order to read such codes you need a special application on the phone, and few people want to install it.
By the way, one should not think that Digital marketing is an exclusively on-line tool. For example, the same QR codes – where to include: off-line or on-line?
These guys came up with a coup: customers had to cut a coupon from their advertising booklets, then send the same coupon by mail in exchange for a digital disc for listening in the car. In pursuit, users were given the opportunity to test the car for free.
Hopefully a little clearer now. Let’s talk in detail about the main channels of modern digital marketing to bring information to our client.
Explanation 2: Why is he still Digital?
We already know that Digital marketing is both an on-line and off-line means of communication with customers. But why is it precisely “digital”? And here for most experts there is no answer. Rather, they will start to think up that this is the use of digital technologies in the business or something like marketing on the Internet.
And despite this, there is still an answer to such a question. The thing is that Digital marketing is the kind of marketing that helps to translate the traffic flow that is attracted into specific numbers, as well as their further segmentation by target audiences.
Or rather not even that. The main task set by digital marketing companies is the ability to take measurements at the stage of attracting and retaining a client.
Why is it important? There is an idea that if at some stage of the business process the main indicators are not measured, then at this stage the company is operating at a loss. Conclusion: everything needs to be measured in business. And especially such indicators:
- Price per lead attracted
- Price per customer
- Return on investment from one client
Moreover, the main task or ability of Digital marketing is to measure these parameters through the introduction of various channels for communication with consumers. And this, in turn, makes it possible to predict advertising campaigns, to identify weaknesses and strengths.
In addition, the reason for the importance is understandable: in the market there are neither “new” nor “old” customers in principle. In addition, the price for one lead in different niches every year is higher and higher.
Most successful companies work in such a way that their customers buy the entire product line. Such companies’ part with the client only in the event of physical death: either a company or a client)). In addition, in this interaction helps the competent implementation of Digital marketing.
In addition, digital marketing helps: scale the customer base, work with such a base, offering more and more new products needed specifically for this target audience.
Explanation 3: The main channels of communication with the client
The first place in importance among communication channels should be considered precisely the Internet and devices that provide access to it: stationary computers, laptops, tablets and mobile phones.
Separately, select mobile devices. Since it is for smartphones that separate applications are written for branded companies. For example, if you are going to the supermarket to purchase products for a month, then by going through the application, you can see prices, availability or even pre-order in a few clicks.
Note Digital TV. A feature of modern TV is its full integration with the Internet. Already, we can fully use social networks through connecting the TV to the network. In addition, we can buy paid access to films for one year, disable ads for an additional fee, and so on.
Interactive screens. These devices are now crowding out traditional physical banners on the streets and in malls. Especially they were successfully implemented in the subway, banks, fast foods and beauty salons. Through this information channel, it is easier to hook the consumer and bring him to the target action.
Digital devices. The newest direction. These various gadgets allow you to collect information in the outside world and transfer it to other devices: on your smartphone, tablet. For example, Smart watches, fitness bracelets, Google Glass (Google glasses). For example, the same fitness bracelet monitors how much you went in a day and what your posture was while walking)).
Touchscreens (tablets). Remember the first Jurassic Park movie? There, the entire security system at the research center on the dinosaur island was implemented through this technology. Then, in the beginning of the 90s, it seemed like such a fantastic thing that we won’t wait in the real world. Now in the best fast food networks, this system has already been implemented. We do not need to stand in line – just go to the screen, place an order, scan the code received by the phone and that is it – the order is placed.
Finally, the last channel on our list is Digital art. This is when not a person takes part in the process of creating any traditional art form, but a computer. For example: drawing a picture, playing music, creating a video, passing a game and so on. The network is full of such videos, and you can watch them). However, the most important thing here is not the result itself, but the process of creating a “masterpiece”.
We turn to those guys who can put all this “magic” into practice.
Explanation 4: Types of Digital Companies in the Market
It should be noted that a Digital company is different from companies that simply provide advertising platforms with their specifics of working in a digital environment. Here they are:
- Development of a strategy for promoting a project in a digital environment.
- Creation of sites and their promotion in search results
- Work with SMM (work with social networks and interaction with users)
- Transfer traffic from offline to online and vice versa
- Organization of events (online and offline) with the full involvement of visitors (contests, promotions)
- Test marketing: mobile applications, virtual reality and so on.
Thus, the main difference between Digital agencies and Internet companies should be considered that digital marketing works with both online business and offline. Therefore, the development of a promotion strategy in digital marketing is wider than just in Internet marketing.
Such a broad approach implies a complete vision of the market niche situation. Very often, they try to convince us that there is a certain online business and that it is somewhat different from a live business outside the network. This is not entirely true. Moreover, if you do not believe it, then you can watch a separate video on this topic:
Here we add that it is the development of Digital Strategy that is more complete for successful business than traditional Internet marketing. In addition, good Digital companies should provide just such broad services and successfully implement them. Now let’s see how digital strategies are created.
Explanation 5: What is a Digital Strategy
Naturally, like any other Digital strategy, it implies the presence of the goals of a business project and tools for solving assigned tasks. So what should a good Digital Strategy look like in practice?
- Define the goal. In reality, there are not so many targets in business. We managed to parse them in our article at this link. In most cases, the goal of Digital Marketing is likely to be to increase sales or profit.
- We determine the target audience (CA). In most cases, marketing gurus recommend creating a “customer avatar” here. Where we indicate: weight, gender, place of residence, age and so on. In fact, compiling an avatar is the last step in determining the target audience. If you want to understand this issue better, here is a short video:
- We form our unique selling proposition (USP). What we will differ from competitors and in what we are better. We talk more about UTP in our private master group.
- We define tools and methods. You need to look at the channels that attract customers that work and which ones can be improved. Next, we choose what can be really involved in the near future.
- We form the core of content marketing. You can find all the tools and examples in our free video course at this link .
- We prioritize tasks and make a plan for delegating tasks. In other words, you need to know who exactly and what task will be done at certain intervals. At this stage, it is also important to measure employee performance.
- Constant measurement of indicators at all stages, analysis and adjustment of actions depending on the results obtained from the implementation of the Digital Strategy.
For this reason, we can only add that in most companies in our countries, the Digital Strategy is not only not being implemented, they do not need it. Yes, some specific tools are being introduced in contextual advertising or new pop-up windows for collecting information, but in a global sense, this does not affect their depth of interaction with the target audience.
This situation is more noticeable in small business. For example, an average interior design studio cannot process more than 10 orders per month. Therefore, they simply do not need a comprehensive implementation of Digital strategies, since the studio is physically unable to conduct more than 10 projects per month.
Explanation 6: Key Myths in Digital Marketing
Let’s try to highlight the main myths that exist in the topic of Digital marketing.
- Digital marketing is just the internet. We all know that this is far from the case. Therefore, for a successful business, you do not need to limit yourself to finding customers only through the Internet. By the way, where else is there traffic besides the Internet, you can read many free books available online
- Digital means that only digital technology is used. In most cases, this is true, but still the main idea is to have the opportunity to measure and predict the results of marketing campaigns.
- Digital marketing is very expensive. Yes, indeed, if you look at this tool only for working on the Internet, then the price for one lead will be large and grow every month. However, Digital marketing is not only about the Internet.
- Digital marketing is a universal tablet for all niches. This is far from the case. In some niches, there will be a predicted result, especially if there are already successful cases. In other niches, no one can claim the result in advance. It should also take into account the cultural characteristics of the environment in which the Digital Strategy is developed. Remember the same QR codes: they did not shoot everywhere.
- Digital marketing is the most accurate for targeting. This is partially true. However, it should be remembered that in most cases a person’s behavior depends on what he uses a computer, laptop or smartphone. In addition, to predict for which particular device a person will see your proposal is quite problematic.
- Digital marketing is well measurable. Paradoxically, the fact is that this is not entirely true, although digital marketing itself was created precisely for this. However, given that the same depth and time of viewing the advertised resource very much depends on the device on which the advertising campaign is placed, it is often difficult to predict the behavioral factor.
As you can see, but their “fly in the ointment” still exist without them in any way. In addition, we note that Digital marketing tools are developing rapidly, which gives rise to more and more new types of statistics and metrics. Which in turn is the reason for the lack of the required number of specialists in the market who must constantly monitor trends.
However, perhaps the next myth is so vast that it will have to be highlighted in a separate chapter.
Explanation 7: Which is better: Traditional or Digital Marketing?
We will conduct a comparative analysis of the two types of marketing and try to draw conclusions, which one is better. We select a criterion and draw conclusions on each of them from the point of view of traditional and digital marketing.
- Audience reach. Traditional marketing is still replaying Digital Marketing for this indicator. Because not all people use new technologies. For example, there are customers who pay only in cash and do not place orders through online platforms. But every year more and more people will use what we attribute to Digital technology. Here, the advantage of traditional marketing is temporary.
- Work with the target audience. A simple kiosk with shawarma does not work with the target audience, but with a stream. That is – in any case, someone will buy something, if only there would be a stream of people. But the online store selling shawarma, thanks to the analysis of the target audience, will work much more efficiently. Here is the advantage of Digital marketing.
- Analytics. This is precisely the advantage of Digital marketing. Thanks to several metrics installed in the advertising campaign itself, you can very deeply study the behavioral factor and make future sales even more effective.
- Scaling. Agree that scaling up your offer in the Digital marketing market is much faster and cheaper than creating a separate network of kiosks selling shawarma.
- Type of business. Digital marketing is not suitable for all niches. In turn, all the niches that exist were created thanks to traditional marketing.
- Touch contact. The ability to hold what is called “touch” in the hands of the product. Digital marketing does not yet provide such an opportunity. But who knows what will happen in a few years ..
- Customer feedback. Digital marketing has a huge number of tools for interacting with the target audience and receiving feedback from them. In turn, in traditional marketing there are 2 main types of feedback: a sociological survey and a post-sale questionnaire.
As you can see, in most cases, Digital marketing will either catch up with the traditional one or leave it behind a long time ago. What conclusions can be drawn? There are only two of them:
- If you already have a business project, and you want to scale your sales, then Digital marketing is exactly what you need. Implement it as soon as possible, but only under the strict guidance of experienced specialists.
- If you do not have your own project yet, and you want to implement Digital marketing, then first do business in the real world. Then think about how to implement Digital marketing.
Therefore, first, you need to think about drawing up such an offer on the market, so that people themselves ask you to buy a product, and not you have to persuade them to buy.
In addition, all the materials on our site will help you with this. For example, a traffic book that will definitely show you places other than the Internet where there is more traffic. Here is the link to download the book.
That is all. Be sure to share this article with your friends. Let everyone now be aware of what Digital Marketing really is. I hope this article has been helpful to you. Write in the comments on which topic you would like to receive materials that are more useful.