You need a motorcycle jacket and you don’t know which one is better – our recommendations will help you choose a model based on your needs. A motorcycle jacket is purchased together with other equipment, or separately, under an existing set of clothing. In many, the choice of motorcycle equipment is huge, so before buying, you should study the features of different models. Motorcycle jackets are sewn from leather or textiles.
What are the leather jackets for riding a motorcycle?
- Classic models with perforated leather and solid. They are distinguished by a universal appearance, there is protection in the area of the elbows, shoulders and on the back
- Sports models are designed for racing and have enhanced protection (plastic and metal inserts). The standard foam pad in the back area can be replaced with more reliable spine protection
- Leather jackets do not have additional protection, they are suitable for driving at low speeds in the city
Leather jackets do not lose their relevance for many decades and belong to the evergreen classics of motorcycle equipment in Moscow and other cities of the country. Why motorcyclists choose them:
- Snug fit
- Universal design
- When turning the body and moving the hands, the protective inserts do not slip inside, which provides stable protection for the pilot in the event of an accident
- The leather is durable, protects from wind and rain
Among the disadvantages of motorcycle leather jackets, we note their significant weight. Moving your hands in a leather jacket is not very convenient: the dense material resists folds and twisting.
Textile motorcycle jackets are a modern alternative to leather. For sewing motorcycle jackets, 600D polyester, mesh, membrane, corduroy, and other materials are used. In textile models, protective inserts and pockets for inserts are provided in the most vulnerable places (elbows, shoulders, in some cases on the back). Varieties of textile motorcycle jackets:
- Mesh models with multiple ventilation inserts are designed for hot riding. In the rain, you can get wet in them, they also do not protect from the cold
- Extra-long touring jackets made of waterproof polyester. They are usually equipped with a detachable lining in case of cold weather, have ventilation valves for driver comfort
- Short urban motorcycle jackets. They are waist-length with built-in protection and ventilation valves. The membrane ensures the removal of excess moisture from the rider’s body
Many people are interested in the question of how to choose a motorcycle jacket with protection. The most vulnerable areas on the rider’s body are the shoulders, elbows, and pockets. In motorcycle jackets, these areas are equipped with protective liners, in some cases removable. Kevlar and Cordura inserts provide protection for the most vulnerable parts of the rider’s body in the event of an accident.
For a snug fit of the outfit, motorcycle jackets are produced with adjustable pockets for inserts. In such a jacket, you can not only replace seasonal protection but also adjust the position of the liners on the body. When driving aggressively, a turtle can be worn under the jacket, which is shield protection for the body, arms, and shoulders of the driver. When a motorcycle jacket is equipped with quality protection, the turtle can be dispensed with.
How to choose a jacket size?
Once you’ve decided on your model, it’s time to figure out how to choose the size of your motorcycle jacket. To do this, you will need to take several measurements: chest girth, waist girth, hip girth. Height matters: it is used to determine the optimal length of the motorcycle jacket. When the measurements are taken, it remains to choose the size according to the table available from the manufacturer of the motorcycle equipment.
Before you cut the price tag from the product and place the new thing in the closet with things for travel, try on the jacket directly on the motorcycle. Movement should not be constrained, while the cut should provide a snug fit of the garment to the figure. In Moscow, you can buy clothes for riding a motorcycle in an online store. If the size does not fit, you can quickly change the item to an analog of the desired size.